Saturday, March 12, 2011

Arriving in Kenya


3733 miles Toronto to Amsterdam, then 4147 miles to Nairobi makes for one tired Dan. Contrary to my hope, I didn’t get much sleep on the planes, so after almost 24 hours (and three in-flight movies) since I left my front door in Toronto, I arrived at the front door of the All African Conference of Churches Guest House in Nairobi.


The flights were really good, and KLM does it right, good service, pretty good food, and very friendly staff. Of course, any flight that goes up, stays up, and comes down in one piece as planned is a good flight!


The passengers on this flight seemed to be a unique mix. In Toronto there were several youth groups going to Kenya to work for March Break. I chatted with some and they were headed to Masai Mara to build a school. The various groups had team T shirts, with slogans like ‘Team Kenya 2011.’

At Amsterdam, we were joined by another church group of older adults from the U.S. wearing shirts with a similar slogan. On board, I learned that the man beside me was from an Arizona organization that worked in Africa (he does this route regularly and got bumped to Business after we were airborne – I wasn’t jealous). Seemed that this was one big mission flight! Really interesting to meet people doing this work and how we all come at it from different perspectives.


No comments:

Post a Comment